Saturday, August 15, 2015

Peer Tutor

So for my long break I have enrolled myself into IMU's peer tutoring programs for phase 1. 

I still vividly remember how I corrected a semester 6 junior with a much stern voice and attitude when he presented a case to my fellow colleague and I during our surgical posting. 

Two students clerked the patient at the same time due to language barrier. 

Student A: "This is a middle aged man who was diagnosed with chronic liver disease came in to us presented with 1 episode of hematemesis.... He did not consume alcohol. There was no history of hepatitis. "

Student B: "Eh but he told me he was diagnosed with hepatitis many years ago..."

Us (the seniors): "Would you like to include that in your history since that would be something very significant?"

Student A: "But this is the history that I have gotten and I am only going to present what i clerked." 

Me: "This is not an assessment but a discussion. We are trying to get to a diagnosis and try to help this patient. If you only present what you have gotten, the diagnosis may be diverted and so is the management. "

Student A: "But I didn't get that history myself and that's not fair. "

Me: "You are not working alone as a doctor. You have a team. And if you can throw that ego away you would have done better justice to your patient. "

I guess I was too angry then, I strolled off. Now when I looked back, I was very impatient and maybe a little irritated. I have probably set my expectations a little too high. Not everyone would have understood the meaning of comprehensive health care and team work when they just passed out from phase 1. Not all of the semester 6 students understand the meaning of ward work and patient care, when what phase 1 taught them, was how to pass the exam and osce with correct techniques. If time turns back I guessed I should have probably tone down my voice and be more gentle...

I may not be the best teacher, but I am still learning. And to be able to identify strength and weaknesses in not just myself but also other people, and tailor accordingly, would be something I have to really pick up in years to come. Learning is a continuous process and so is teaching. 

As what Dr. Sow always says, "To teach, one must have passion. And to teach well, one must not be rigid and teach only one way because everyone learns differently. "

*looking forward to peer tutoring*

Kaiyunn


No comments:

Post a Comment