Saturday, April 4, 2015

Mistakes

It has been five weeks since we stepped into the last 6 months of medical school. As being a medical student, we can still afford to do mistakes and learn from them. We were told to do as many mistakes as we can as a student before we directly dealing with patient’s live as a doctor. And I told myself, it is okay to make mistakes now.

When we told the patients and families that we are final year medical students which meaning that we are going to be a real doctor in less than a year time, they put trust on us. They will be willing to listen to our advice. The truth is, we are indirectly and actively participating in managing a patient. For instance, we give appropriate advice to patients regarding their lifestyle modification, diet control, handling of medication and illnesses. However, before we could give a good advice to patient, we should really equipped ourselves with knowledge because wrong information can be life threatening to a patient. 

I had made a huge mistake that day because I gave wrong information to a patient which can lead to life threatening consequences in her illness. I felt so awful and even hard for me to forgive myself in doing such a mistake which I should not. For the first time, I felt the responsible of being a healthcare professional in directly dealing with one’s live. When we carrying our lab coat which represent our profession, we should give our best in everything we do, be it prescribing medication or just talking to a patient. This can create a “butterfly effect” which lead to serious consequences later.

Yes, I told myself to do as many mistakes as I can in these 6 months before I become a real doctor. But, I really find it so difficult to accept the mistake that I have done. Even if the patient did not affect by the mistake, the thought of me almost caused life threatening situation to the patient is horrible. However, to admit, apologize and correct the mistake that one have done as soon as possible are equally important too. For this instance, I am glad that I was still able to amend the mistake that I have done before it is too late. This mistake had really gave me a huge lesson to learn.


So now, try to do as many mistakes as you can? 

No, think twice before you let anything slip out of your mouth. It’s more than pain to do mistakes. 


-K-

2 comments:

  1. Mistakes are recognised through hindsight. To be afraid that something you do will turn out to be a mistake is a natural human feeling but one guard against being overwhelmed by that kind of feeling. I think most of my mistakes in the wards were made when I rushed into making decisions or felt compelled to do something because I did not want to appear indecisive or incompetent. The confidence to say "I am not sure" or "I do not know" is what reduces mistakes in the wards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Prof Vela and thank you for your advice.
      -k-

      Delete